These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Bacon, Chard and Fontina Quiche
From Stones River Market
<p>The Daily News Journal posted this recipe on March 9.</p>Source: Daily News Journal - Alison Ladman (AP) (Entered by John Erdmann)
Serves: Serves 8
1 pie crust
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 bunch swiss chard, tough stems removed, chopped
1 1/2 cup half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 TBSP fresh thyme, chopped
1 1/2 cup fontina cheese, shredded
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat the oven to 400ºF.
- Line a deep-dish pie plate or a quiche pan with the pie crust, crimping or trimming the edge.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet, then set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, cook the bacon until crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and continue to cook until the chard is tender, about another 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to drain any excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Add the cheese to the chard and bacon, then transfer the mixture to the prepared pie crust. Pour the egg mixture into the crust and gently stir to eliminate any large clumps or air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325ºF, then bake until the center is set, about another 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy warm or cool. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings